Technology is a common topic in academic writing because of its pervasive role in the life of each individual and society at large. An essay on technology can come in a variety of forms, ranging from the evolution of computer usage in modern education to the future ethical issues in using AI in medical research. This topic can pop up as a prompt for an academic paper for college or an English proficiency exam, such as TOEFL or IELTS. Whatever your assignment is, you will find useful tips, free PDF sample essays, and much more on our website!
Technology Essay Types
Due to their diverse nature, essays about technology can be written in a variety of formats. Although it is not impossible for an essay about technology to fall into the narrative or descriptive essay categories, they usually require a more factual format.
- Expository essay. In this genre, a student provides a neutral explanation of a phenomenon. In case of a technology essay, for example, one could write about an overview of the latest innovations in the design of space crafts.
- Argumentative (persuasive) essay. The aim of this type of essay is to convince the reader to take a stance similar to the author’s. For example, a student could argue that the usage of advanced technology yields negative effects on the agriculture industry.
- Cause-and-effect essay. As the name suggests, this genre calls for identifying why certain events led to other situations. A student learning about economics at the university could be asked to examine the effects of using new accounting systems in banking.
- Critical essay. Here a student should provide a detailed analysis of a topic supported by evidence. For example, a student could explore the synthesis of information technology in education development.
- For-and-against essay. This type is especially relevant for English proficiency short essays. For example, a student might be asked to write about advantages (benefits) and disadvantages (drawbacks) of dependence on technology for traveling.
Be it a scholarship take or a final project, an essay on technology requires following a structure for effective communication of one’s ideas. If the answer is not structured, relevant points could become a distraction to the reader and ultimately make the work ineffective.
- Introduction. Similar to any other type of essay, an essay about technology requires a clear thesis statement. A student could provide an extended version of one if they need to write a long paper that covers multiple arguments.
- Main body. Here a student should elaborate on their thesis statement and make arguments relevant to the essay type. For example, a student could address each argument in a respective paragraph if they need to write a persuasive essay on negative impacts of science on the environment.
- Conclusion. This portion of the essay focuses on restating what has been said above. Therefore, student should avoid adding new information here.
Though an essay about technology gives room for creativity, a good work has several features. It follows a clear structure appropriate to the particular essay type. Moreover, it is supported by evidence from credible sources when relevant. Whatever your assignment is, be sure to follow writing rules. Thank you for choosing our database to help you succeed with your studies!