Minutes of meetings allow people who attended the meeting and anyone else who the information needs to be shared with to look back on the meetings key information and also to clarify and actions taken or actions that have said will be taken. Minutes are legal documents that are used as a proof for referring back to in the future. The minutes should contain the title, time, date, place of meeting, names of attendees, apologies, visitors, items, actions required and date for next meeting.
Meeting minutes can be long and detailed, or they can be short and to the point, depending on the nature of the meeting. In situations of critical importance, and where the record is important, you may need to take detailed minutes. When this isn’t the case, minutes can be simple lists of decisions made and actions that need to be taken (with the responsible person identified).
Generally, minutes should be as short as possible, as long as they highlight all key information. They offer legal protection. Minutes are important details that you can’t ignore if you want to keep your business in line with state laws, and to back up your tax returns. Minutes represent the actions of the board and company leadership, and are considered legal documents by auditors, the Internal Revenue Service, and the courts. Legal experts will maintain that if an action isn’t in the minutes, it didn’t happen.
2. They provide structure. Even though there is no standardized format for meeting minutes, the IRS and the courts consider it important that you made a reasonable effort to report the facts of the meeting. Therefore, make sure your minute taker sufficiently describes how board members arrived at reasonable decisions.
The minute taker should also include the name of the organization, the date and time of the meeting, who called it to order, and who attended. If there’s a quorum, they should also note all motions made, any conflicts of interest, if any members abstained from voting, when the meeting ended, and who developed the minutes. Meeting minutes must then be approved at the next meeting by the leadership team.
3. They drive action. Good meeting minutes help drive a plan of action for your leadership team and employees. They clarify how, when, why, and by whom decisions were made. They map out a plan for the action items — which helps get the work done — and they later provide valuable information to those team members who aren’t able to attend the meeting.
4. They act as a measuring stick. Minutes record meeting decisions, which makes them a useful review document when it comes time to measure progress. They also act as an accountability tool because they make it clear who’s duty it was to perform which action. Be sure to check out Minutes of Meeting of the Board of Directors to view a template for the minutes of a board of directors meeting of a corporation.
5. They state ownership. When votes are recorded and individual names are listed alongside each vote, it serves multiple purposes. First, it tells the board and leadership team who voted for what. This gives the board member some possible legal protection if the majority approved an issue and a lawsuit is filed. Second, if one particular board member abstained on the decision, or voted against the majority, it sets them apart from the suit.
The paper "Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample" was contributed to our database by a real student. You can use this work as a reference for your own writing or as a starting point for your research. You must properly cite any portion of this sample before using it.
If this work is your intellectual property and you no longer would like it to appear in our database, please request its deletion.Ask for Removal
Create a Citation on Essay
PaperPrompt. (2021) 'Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample'. 28 November.
PaperPrompt. (2021, November 28). Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample. Retrieved from https://paperprompt.com/understand-how-to-make-minutes-of-meetings-essay-sample/
PaperPrompt. 2021. "Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample." November 28, 2021. https://paperprompt.com/understand-how-to-make-minutes-of-meetings-essay-sample/.
1. PaperPrompt. "Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample." November 28, 2021. https://paperprompt.com/understand-how-to-make-minutes-of-meetings-essay-sample/.
PaperPrompt. "Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample." November 28, 2021. https://paperprompt.com/understand-how-to-make-minutes-of-meetings-essay-sample/.
"Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample." PaperPrompt, 28 Nov. 2021, paperprompt.com/understand-how-to-make-minutes-of-meetings-essay-sample/.
Get in Touch with Us
Do you have more ideas on how to improve Understand how to make minutes of meetings essay sample? Please share them with us by writing at the [email protected]